Saturday, February 23, 2008

How am I the Weaker Brother?

A natural extension to the conversation we have had below is the practical workings-out of the weaker brother consideration.

A friend posited whether we should, as Christian leaders, be educating ourselves in the identification of such weaker brothers (or perhaps weaker siblings). There may be ways Psychologists, Sociologists and Theologians together may be able to help us identify the issues some believers have with certain behaviors that may not be expressly prohibited in the Bible.

Then we might also consider an introspective approach - how am I the weaker sibling? What things cause me to stumble?

The real question is, though, how do we create an environment where these things can be shared? How do we share these things with others if we are the "weaker" sibling? How exactly do we respond if we have been told of a weakness in a sibling? What limits ought I put on my freedom? Do I limit these freedoms at all times or only around those who would be offended? What of institutions and denominations that ask us to limit our freedoms for the sake of others as an oath of community - do these apply when I am in my home alone with family? What about on the road visiting unbelieving friends who wouldn't understand if I refused to participate with them? Who does it hurt?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Funny- I'm in the middle of writing an argument against a woman's right to preach to share with the New Testament class; not because I don't think that women should preach, but I think that anything that we have a 'right' to is something that we should be willing to give up for the good of the community. So, if preaching is my right, but it would be a stumbling block to a brother or sister to lead them into sin, then it's my responsibility to lay my preaching down. Their spiritual health comes before my exercise of rights.

Which isn't to say that women shouldn't preach, but that no one has a 'right' to it in the first place; proclaiming the word of God is a responsibility.

Anyway, I think the strength of the questions that you're asking is their contextual nature. As much as I love abstractions (and I gave them hugs and kisses for Valentine's Day) I don't think we can adequately deal with stronger/weaker sibling issues on a denominational level. It's the kind of thing that has to be dealt with in relationship- if I'm weaker than you, and Herbie is also weaker than you, it's unlikely that we are weaker in the same ways or that we need the same kinds of considerations.

Which isn't to say that denominational covenants against drinking, smoking, etc are inappropriate, just that they're inadequate apart from a relational, intentional focus on mutual help among friends.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that Julie! I don't know you but I like you! :-) The thing that I thought of when I read this comment was the passage in Romans 12 about laying down your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to the Lord. When we talk about the freedoms we have, we have to remember that the only freedom we have comes from Christ and we are to be slaves to Christ and servants to our brothers.

The first question we ask ourselves in any relationship context should not be do I have the freedom to do this, or is this allowed, or even if I do this will I go to hell as so many of my southern baptist friends growing up were fond of telling me, but instead is this thing bringing Glory to God? And what brings God glory is loving him with everything we have and loving our brother with everything we have.

Who cares if we have "freedom" if we are not loving our neighbor... I would even say that this freedom we think we have to do certain things is not true freedom, but bondage to our selves and to our selfish nature.

I guess what I'm trying to say and not doing a very good job is that our focus should not be on determining if a brother is weaker than us, but on love and doing everything possible to pour out the love of Christ onto our brothers. I really feel like everything will fall into place if we truly lay down our bodies and lives and put our brothers ahead of ourselves.


Thanks for reading my ramblings! Have a fantastic day!!!!

irishtater said...

Thanks, Mel. What great points about freedom and bondage. This is something I could only say in a very negative way - but you have found a very healthy, non confrontative way to talk about the ugliness that I find in myself when I try to exercise my rights/freedoms without considering my siblings.

What a truly masterful way to address this subject, huh? Instead of telling us libertarians-in-Christ that we are full of selfishness and vain conceit doing things that are not evil of themselves but do cause other believers to sin, he appeals to our desire to please God and show love to our siblings!