Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sabbatical

Blogging and journaling have been closely related in my experience. Content traditionally reserved for one medium has often found its way onto the other. This season has changed that to some degree. In Spiritual Formation we talked about praying through Scripture as a spiritual exercise, especially the Psalms.

The Psalms? Really? The Psalms have been an enigma to me for as long as I can remember. After all, what enemies have I that are at my feet? I am an emotional person (no matter how well that is normally held back) but the Psalms? They are totally removed from the story of my life. Then I tried journaling with the sort of abandon David and his contemporaries needed to be expressing these raw feelings to God. Now the Psalms, though distant still, have been given new life in my reading.

So, lately I am bearing my soul to God in a new way and a different forum reducing my blog load. (I had some good comments on a few recent posts - yes, I will respond! The Beauty post was part of a Postmodern fan-hitting in the groups in which I travel so I had to take a step back from the conversation/argument to collect my thoughts.)

How about you? Have you allowed yourself journal - or even pray - to God without using "thees" and "thous"? Have you exposed your innermost feelings to him? Have you yet discovered the intimacy that comes from not only knowing God knows all about your thought life, but have determined to take God on a guided-tour through your innermost secrets? You would be amazed at what new ways God is given permission to renovate your life if you take him in further - not stopping at just those prayers that really match a life more holy than the one you are living.

There is a push at school for a sort of bloggers convention - to gather together and promote this "craft." Me? I will be taking a sabbatical with God and my journal.

No comments: