Friday, August 31, 2007

Get Moving!

A car is easier to steer when moving. This is truth. I think we can also say this is true of our lives. In Revelation 3.16 God says to the church through John "So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

I went through a few physical ailments this spring - unusual for me - and was struck by a realization. Those ups and downs in faith I am accustomed to - often related to the vibrancy of my personal devotional time and corporate worship experiences - were related not so much to my active turning from evil things but turning TOWARD God. In those times I would find myself in bed for days on end sleeping and not spending time with God and, in the end, feeling just as empty and distanced from God than just after committing a sin I knew to avoid.

Such are our times of lukwarmness - neither hot nor cold. in our states of apathy we are useless to God. That is a bit of a stretch, I guess, since God uses people opposed to him in spite of themselves to accomplish His purposes, but why would a child of God settle to be used in spite of rather than with the Spirit? I don't think they rightly should.

The season I am beginning is one of motion. May God be the steerer and not me!

No comments: